Monday, December 11, 2006

Need an antidote for civic cynicism?

The cantilevered stairwell in the Library lobbyGo to the Benjamin Hooks Central Library on a Sunday. Parking lot full. Waiting line for the computers. Lots of kids.

On a Sunday.

With the new library, Memphis hit the Trifecta:

  1. city leaders make good decisions.
  2. a beautiful building creates demand for what's inside and improves the area surrounding it.
  3. The citizens of Memphis use it and learn.

I wonder if the branch libraries are this busy. I also wonder if their computers see the same use as the Central Library.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin W. McGregor said...

For the most part I've been impressed with the central library (and the library system in general) since I moved here.

About the computers at the branches: We had to do a number of spot checks of local library branches (5 branches on three different weekdays) for the launch of a pretty big web app and there were at least three occasions where I had to wait to get a machine. Granted these weren't long waits, but still...

Granted I was more worried about QOS than how many people were sitting around me, but I'd hazard a guess that when I was there I saw at least 50% machine utilization.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memphis library rules! A far better investment in Memphis and Memphians than anything else in the last 10 years.

8:02 PM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

Good to know that it's not isolated to the Central branch.

Computers for citizens, and beautiful buildings seem to be great investments for Memphis.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home