Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jolly Royal Moderne

One of my favorite Memphis buildings is the Jolly Royal Furniture building, a cool example of streamline moderne at the corner of Main and Gayoso.

Jolly Royal Corner

Jolly Royal Corner

Jolly Royal Corner
Along with its black & white tiles, glass bricks and industrial windows, I have also liked the gallery which runs its Main Street length.

Jolly Royal Corner

Jolly Royal Corner

Jolly Royal Corner
It's deep, a space in its own right. It's covered, giving protection from both sun and rain. And it's continuous with the sidewalk, a private space that opens to the public.

It's a distinctive outdoors private/public space. Given the right use, it could be a place.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig this building, too. Good tribute here!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

When I was a kid, that was Shainberg's (sp?) Black and White Store; sort of a discounter, as I recall.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home