Thursday, February 22, 2007

2 Prototypes for the Gates of Memphis

The first is the well-known Cadillac Ranch, along Route 66/Interstate 40 outside of Amarillo, TX.


The second, which I had not heard of until this podcast of Smart City with Carol Coletta, is the Angel of the North in Gateshead, England.


Here's an interactive view and photos from the construction of the Angel.

They're prototypical in spirit and concept (a roadside announcement of place and history through symbolic and material reuse), but not form, to what will be The Gates of Memphis.

People zip past Memphis all the time on their way from/to parts unknown. Why shouldn't we herald the city with monuments befitting its great name?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Gates! That's an ambitious project! Why don't you start a little smaller by attacking the worst design problem in Memphis? The parking lot at the post office on Union! What a mess...A simple road out the back would solve most of the issues there.

I'd tell the post office, but it would be a waste of time. They aren't exactly known for their design prowess.

Cool rendition of the pippin ride by the way! I get the same queasiness from that as I did from the original ride!

12:12 PM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

Sherman, I think we should do the easy stuff first: massive monuments ringing the city; afterwards reason and beauty for Union Avenue.

I was very surprised by the reactions to the Pippin animation, considering how raw it is. It's motivated me to do more of those things.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! I'm looking forward to the animation of the back-alley exit from the Union Ave. post office. I knew you could do it!

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home