Sunday, December 09, 2007

3 Things About The Stratum on Highland

the Stratum from MyndersBecause it's transforming and using the space around it, the Stratum is one of the most interesting buildings going up in Memphis right now.
  1. Although it took the place of 2 or 3 bungalows on Highland, it didn't keep their residential offset. Not even a perfunctory strip of landscaping (thank God!). They're building right up to the edge of the sidewalk on Highland and Mynders.

    It's an invitation to walk, down Mynders to the University and down Highland to the restaurants, bars and shops.

  2. It has an interesting (and rarely seen in Memphis) mid-rise size. About the height of a mature oak tree. I think will add significant density, presence and energy to the area without overpowering.

  3. The Stratum from HighlandThey have built it inside an existing commercial district, which is also rare in Memphis. What they're doing on Highland, smart developers should do in Overton Square, Cooper-Young, even Beale Street. Let the residential and commercial cross-pollinate.
I think it will be a fun place to live.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger jccvi said...

The view from inside the Lenny's across the street is very interesting. From that spot, and really that spot only, you can imagine that you're in Austin or Athens.

9:51 AM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

Soon you'll be able to imagine you're in Memphis.

'til then, I wish my pictures could represent the physical change better, or at all.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you could catch it better down the block, like doing a wide angle from the train tracks.

From this shot I feel like the sidewalk is a tad tight. Its lost the residential setback, but the walkway should be wider. I'm just thinking that three across woulden't make it.

My guess is that since the Highland St has no storefront with door requirements than the whole thing works code wise.

10:14 AM  
Blogger jccvi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:13 AM  
Blogger jccvi said...

There's been some discussion about putting in diagonal parking on that section of highland. It seems like that would lead to even more of a traffic nightmare. I'm not sure where you could divert the Highland traffic. It's the only major thoroughfare between East Parkway and Perkins.

On a somewhat related note, for anyone looking to be at the forefront of the action in the new downtown near east, one of my favorite houses in Memphis is for sale at the corner of Ellsworth and Midland.

http://www.crye-leike.com/main/browsedetail.
php?region=West+Tennessee&address=ellsworth
&mgrp=13&ln=1&tid (

you'll probably have to cut and paste that link a bit as I still haven't figured out how to put a link in a blog comment).

The view from your front porch will look something like this:

http://www.pm-lifestyle.com/lifestyle_center/
new/highland/shared_assets/E-Mail%20PDF-4-19-
06_Page_2low.jpg
=memphis&mlsnum=3122776

11:14 AM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

The house....

and the view.

I like the house better (or at least its visualization).

11:56 AM  
Blogger jccvi said...

I used to walk my dog past that house everyday. It's going to be a bit noisy around there for a while, but they payoff should be nice.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Stratum is horrible! I have lived here 6 months and will be so glad that my lease is up soon. The rent is way to high and I'm paying rent for things I can't use because of the 3rd floor flooding. I'm not the only one who is soon hoping for their lease to be up either.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home