Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Gates of Memphis White Oak

I Hereby Dedicate Ye The Gates of Memphis White Oak, or Nuttall Oak
Except it might be the Nuttall Oak. Can anyone tell?

I prefer White Oak because a leaf from a Quercus Alba is on the Great and Holy Seal of Memphis.

Memphis City Seal
The tree hopeful came up in my back yard late last summer, and in February I moved it to the front. My neighbors wondered why I planted a stick. But it came alive and has looked healthy all spring and summer, except that it hasn't grown an inch.

White or Nuttall, it's my first step in returning my yard to forest.

The Stupid Gardener says: "it lives, it stays!"

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin W. McGregor said...

Oddly my first guess would have been either Pin Oak or Spanish Oak (Quercus Falcata). Either way, Carpe Gramineae!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you for planting a stick and helping it grow. more trees are better.

1:20 PM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

Justin, the Pin oak has sharper, less rounded, leaf edges so we don't think it's that. The Spanish oak has more nodes (or whatever they're called) so I don't that either. Not sure though.

By the way, re: carpe gramineae -- are you telling me to cut the grass?

fieldguide, the stick is a mighty oak. And I'm looking for other tree rescue operations for the front yard.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home