Thursday, January 25, 2007

Delusion: The Spartacus 24/7 Project

I saw Spartacus the first time just a few months ago. Happened to catch part of it on Turner Movie Classics and I decided to rent it. Which was a mistake for someone like me. As a by-product of Catholic schools, I've long had a problem with arbitrary authority. And I'd never seen a movie that so closely insinuates cruelty and brutality with the trappings of class and hierarchy. For a few weeks after watching it, I found myself more pissed off than usual at the self perpetuating and aggrandizing hierarchies that we often find ourselves in.

And I thought that it would be cool to have Spartacus playing somewhere in Memphis, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a years. A public performance and protest.

Then I saw this television:

Metalworks Sculpture and Drive-by TV set, Broad Ave. Arts District, Artists Unknowndrive-by TV set, Broad Ave. Arts District
I passed it by coming home from work about 2 weeks ago. It was facing Sam Cooper Boulevard, on the cusp of the Broad Avenue Arts District. Unfortunately, the day I first saw it, I was sick and didn't feel like turning around to take a picture. But it made an impression. It was turned as though for the viewing pleasure of the passing cars on Sam Cooper. And it was a console TV. Like TV trays and Lazy-Boys, console TVs really hearken back to the golden age of TV watchin'.

A TV fit for Spartacus.

The Spartacus 24/7 Project, 2007 (thrown away) Artist, Gates of MemphisNothing like a console TV playing a movie about the struggle against hierarchy and brutality for the citizens of Memphis as they drive by.

24/7/365/Binghamton/Kubrick.

But I figured it would be gone the next day.

But it was there when I drove by a week later. No one had carted it off. Amazing. That's when I got these pictures.

Sadly it was gone the day after. Ending my Spartacus 24/7 project dream delusion.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger fearlessvk said...

well, it's not quite 24/7 spartacus, but the good folks at cinema memphis told me last night that they were working on bringing a kubrick film fest to the city for this year...

9:07 PM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

I saw that they were going to do that.

I'd always assumed Kubrick's in-Hollywood efforts would be inferior but I think I like them better. I still haven't seen all of Paths of Glory, but what I've seen is incredible.

6:40 PM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

i finally saw paths of glory last year and it completely blew me away. it fits nicely alongside dr. strangelove, and has a very similar feel. if they do this kubrick film fest, they had better show that movie. if i could only find some ridiculous way of pretending it was relevant to either of my classes, i'd offer my students extra credit as an enticement to attend!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger fearlessvk said...

btw where did you see they were going to do that? i couldn't quite tell from my conversation with them (i talked to some people at their booth at the volunteer expo) if it was really likely to happen, and when i checked out their web site, it was still advertising the 2005 retrospective of howard hawks!

still, i emailed them and offered to help out in any way possible with the film fest or any other history of film type things they might do in the city - hope to hear back from them...

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home