Friday, October 03, 2008

The Turnaround

Here's a couple checking out South Main last weekend.

South Main Pedestrians

A few feet later, the couple stopped, and turned around. They began walking back the way they came, towards Main and Calhoun.

My theory: they hit a walkability barrier. They came to the place where a street's enticements, human, visual, aural, etc., weren't strong enough for casual amblers to continue ambling. On a Saturday morning, there aren't many people on South Main above Butler, unless a special event is going on. So they turned around, right about here.

I'd think tracking, timing and interviewing turnarounds like this would be invaluable if you want to improve the street life of a neighborhood. And while looking for turnarounds, you can walk it yourself, opening yourself to the experience as a newcomer.

If you're wondering why I was stalking a couple with crappy photography, I was trying to get a picture for Sustainable Shelby.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger marycash said...

Did you get anything good for Sustainable Shelby on Broad Ave.?

3:20 PM  
Blogger gatesofmemphis said...

I got some I liked but they were, as usual, w/o people.

The ones I did submit weren't from Broad.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home